August 25, 2017
POPE SAYS MIGRANTS MORE IMPORTANT THAN NATIONAL SECURITY
Pope Delivers Pro-Open Borders Remarks In Wake Of Barcelona Terror Attack
Pope Francis is again urging governments around the world to open their doors to migrants, regardless of national security concerns. “The principle of the centrality of the human person… ...obliges us to always prioritize personal safety over national security,” Pope Francis stated Monday. “Let us beg the Lord, God of mercy and peace, to free the world from this inhuman violence,” the Pope stated.
The pontiff’s comments, delivered in anticipation of World Refugee Day 2018 taking place January 14, followed numerous radical Islamic terror attacks targeting Europe, including a truck attack in Barcelona last week which left 15 people dead and more than 130 people injured, possibly maimed for live. The Vicar of Christ didn’t let the non-stop terror attacks derail his argument in favor of open borders. The world should see “every stranger who knocks at our door” as “an opportunity for an encounter with Jesus Christ,” who the Pope claimed "welcomed and rejected strangers of every age.” The pope directed border guards to be properly trained to guarantee refugees’ personal safety and provide them with “access to basic services.” “In countries of arrival, [I hope that] migrants may be offered freedom of movement, work opportunities, and access to means of communication.” The pope also called to “simplify the process for granting humanitarian visas” and insisted on “special temporary visas” for fleeing migrants. “Collective and arbitrary expulsions of migrants and refugees are not suitable solutions,” The Holy See said.
Pope Francis has previously sparred with U.S. President Donald Trump over his hardline stance on immigration, and disagreed with calls to build a wall on the southern US border with Mexico. “A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian. This is not in the gospel,” the pope, referring to Trump.
“If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS, which as everyone knows is ISIS’s ultimate trophy, I can promise you that the Pope would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President because this would not have happened.” Trump also reminded the pope that the Vatican is surrounded by a 40 foot wall.
HB 3391 OREGON: ABORTION IS LEGAL THROUGH ALL 9 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY
Sex Selection Abortions Are Legal - State Pays For All- Including Women In The Country Illegally
Oregon's Democratic lawmakers and governor have decided the state's taxpayers will be financing abortions in full, even though it might violate their conscience or their religious beliefs. Voter opposition to the new law has been silenced. On Wednesday, Governor Kate Brown (D) signed into law a bill that breaks down all existing barriers in Oregon to a woman or girl obtaining an abortion. HB 3391 which passed along party lines in the Senate in July (17 Democrats for, 13 Republicans against) – forces all insurance companies but one to pay for abortions with no co-pay; and the state pays for abortions for those who lack insurance – including for women in the country illegally.
Abortion is legal through all nine months of pregnancy in Oregon, sex selection abortions are legal, no parental notification is required. Literally it's abortion on demand, freely paid for in the state of Oregon. Included in the bill was an emergency clause requiring that it go into effect immediately upon the governor's signature, even though there is no emergency. According to the ORTL executive director, the bill's sponsors did that for a specific reason.
"That means that there can be no referendum against them," says Atteberry. "It insures that there's no way for the citizens of Oregon to rise up and suggest a referendum that would overturn the bill. They're doing that quite frequently now on their bad bills so that no one can stop them."
A Fox News report points out that opposition to the bill came from the eastern portion of the state, which is predominately Republican and "extremely conservative" on social issues like abortion. But in the western portion – described as "among the least churched areas in the entire country" – the bill has plenty of support.
DOJ HALTS OPERATION CHOKEPOINT, WHICH TARGETED FIREARM DEALERS AND PAYDAY LENDERS
Obama-Era Program Targeted Law-Abiding Firearms Businesses
Kerry Picket | Daily Caller
The Department of Justice has ended its Obama-era Operation Chokepoint initiative, which aimed to block some businesses, including firearm dealers and payday lenders, from having access to bank loans. House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte and ranking committee member John Conyers, Assistant Attorney General Stephen F. Boyd wrote that DOJ considers Operation Chokepoint a “misguided initiative conducted during the previous administration.”
USS MCCAIN SUFFERED STEERAGE FAILURE CAUSING COLLISION WITH COMMERCIAL TANKER
The Remains Of Miissing 10 Sailors Found After Collision
Brad Lendon & Jim Sciutto- Updated Tue August 22, 2017
The remains of 10 missing US sailors have been found after the collision between the US destroyer John S. McCain and the Alnic MC, a 600-foot, Liberian-flagged oil and chemical tanker, near Singapore, Navy Admiral Scott Swift said Tuesday. Navy and Marine Corps divers found the remains in the sealed compartments aboard the USS McCain, said Admiral Swift, commander of the Pacific Fleet. The Royal Malaysian Navy has located one body at sea, and officials are working to determine whether it is one of the missing sailors. Divers have located others.
US military divers continue to search the flooded areas of the USS McCain. Ships and planes are scouring the seas east of Singapore. Divers will also assess the extent of damage to the warship, which is docked at a Singapore naval facility, according to the Navy. "Until we have exhausted any potential of recovering survivors or bodies, the search and rescue efforts will continue." 5 sailors were injured in the crash, and a Singaporean air force helicopter airlifted 4 of them to a Singapore hospital.
The White House expressed its "great sadness" about the incident. "As the Navy begins the process of recovering our fallen sailors, our thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends," the statement said.
A Navy official reported the USS McCain suffered a steering failure as the warship was beginning its approach into the Strait of Malacca, causing it to collide with Liberian oil and chemical commercial tanker. The official said it was unclear why the crew couldn't use the ship's backup steering systems to maintain control. Another Naval officer said there were indications the destroyer experienced a loss of steering right before the collision, but steering had been regained afterward. "The USS McCain was up and running as an operational ship almost immediately after the collision. It was quite extraordinary," he said.
The USS McCain has been towed to Singapore's Changi Naval Base. The other ship, the Alnic MC, a 600-foot, Liberian-flagged oil and chemical tanker, was towed to Singapore's eastern anchorage for inspection.
NAVY POSSIBILE TARGET OF A CYBERATTACK
Investigators Would Not Discount The Possibilities Of Cyberattack
The USS McCain recently collided with a merchant ship. How could the most powerful nation in the world make these kinds of mistakes at sea?
A spate of US Navy warship accidents in Asia since January.
♦ The USS McCain collision this August bears a resemblance to other incidents.
♦ The USS Fitzgerald, was involved in an incident in June which collided with a container ship off the coast of Japan and led to the deaths of 7 US sailors.
♦ In addition, the USS Lake Champlain hit a South Korean fishing boat in May.
♦ The USS Antietam ran aground off the coast of Japan in January.
Lawmakers and defense analysts have warned that longer deployments for ships and less time and money for maintenance and training could be playing a role in the accidents. A press release on the USS McCain last week said the crew had completed 350 maintenance and repair jobs while at sea. At least 100 of those were classified as "depot-level" jobs that would usually be conducted at a shipyard. "We are not letting this deployment eat away at our material readiness," said Cmdr. Jessie Sanchez, the executive officer of USS McCain. "We continue to maintain our upkeep, so that when we come back, we are just as good if not better than when we left."
There was no indication the collision was intentional nor was there evidence the ship was the target of a cyberattack, but investigators would not discount these possibilities, Richardson told reporters. "We are taking a look at all (options) as we did with the USS Fitzgerald as well," he said.
BEIJING CLAIMS AMERICAN WARSHIP USS JOHN S. MCCAIN VIOLATED CHINA’S SOVEREIGNTY & SECURITY
Territorial Disputes In Area With 5 Regional Nations –Vietnam, Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia And The Philippines- US Says Should Be Neutral Space Available For Free Navigation
Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said, "The US destroyer’s actions have violated Chinese and international laws, as well as severely harmed China’s sovereignty and security. China is very displeased with this and will bring up the issue with the US side.” The Foreign Ministry pointed out that that the so-called US “freedom of navigation” mission was carried out without authorization from Beijing, which has “indisputable sovereignty over the Nansha Islands (Spratley) and its surrounding waters.”
“The Chinese army immediately sent warships (to the area) in accordance with the law to implement the identification of the US ship and warn it off,” the spokesperson said. Beijing has also urged Washington to respect “the joint efforts of the regional countries to maintain peace and stability in the South China Sea.” “The US provocation also forced the Chinese side to take measures to further enhance the national defense capability,” the ministry added.
Earlier Thursday, American warship USS John S. McCain sailed within a 12-mile range of Mischief Reef in the disputed Spratly chain in the South China Sea, US officials told the media. It was the third mission aimed at challenging China’s claim on the territory under the Trump administration. 2 other US Navy ships approached China-claimed islands in the South China Sea in July and May.
Beijing is tangled in a web of territorial disputes in the areas with 5 regional nations – Vietnam, Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines. The South China Sea is crucial for Chinese foreign trade, serving as a major transportation route for minerals, energy and Chinese-made goods. It is also believed to be rich in natural resources, including oil.
The US says it supports none of the nations’ claims in the area and insists that the sea should be a neutral space available for free navigation. Washington is accusing China of taking an aggressive stance on the issue because of its island reclamation projects. Beijing insists that the artificial islands primarily serve civilian purposes like support of rescue operations and weather observation. Thursday’s mission comes as the US seeks greater Chinese involvement on resolving the tension over its neighbor, North Korea’s, continuing missile tests, which are perceived in Washington as a serious threat to the US and its regional allies.
STABBING SPREE IN FINLAND: KNIFEMEN ATTACK EIGHT PEOPLE- FIVE WERE WOMEN INCLUDING ONE WOMAN PUSHING A BABY CARRIAGE
Cops Gun Down One Suspect ‘And Hunt Gang Of Attackers’
People were left covered in blood after the shocking mid-afternoon attack which saw 8 people rushed to hospital. Armed police scrambled to the middle of Turku as a knife-wielding group reportedly rampaged through the city – a manhunt was launched to find the attackers. Police warned people to stay away from the city and reinforced security nationwide, with increased patrols and more surveillance, in case more people were involved.
Markus Laine from the National Bureau Of Investigation said, at this stage, there is only one suspect and we are investigating whether there are more people involved. "At this stage, we do not investigate this (as a terrorism attack) but the possibility has not been ruled out," he told a news conference. Horrified bystanders reported hearing screaming as a number of people were stabbed in Market Square before one person was arrested by Finnish police. Interior Minister Paula Risikko said, "We have not been able to confirm the person's identity... we have been in contact with the immigration service as the person looks like a foreigner."
Witnesses said they saw a pool of blood following the attack. "A man walked towards the ice cream stand where I work, and he hit a woman 3 times. He started running, went past my kiosk, and he had a knife in his hand," Terttu Lehtinen told Reuters. She said that some other men ran behind, apparently chasing him. "We were sitting by the market square, just enjoying the afternoon. Suddenly people started screaming and yelling, they were hysterical," said another witness, who gave her name only as Retta. "We started running towards our car and, as we got there, my boyfriend said a woman had been stabbed several times in the neck," she told Reuters. One person tweeted: "At least 5 victims, most likely some fatalities one was a woman with a baby." Others said a young man and woman were stabbed in the back during the rampage. Witness Kent Svensson told CNN: "This guy had this huge knife in his hand, and several times he was stabbing this person."
EU POLICIES ENABLE ‘FREE MOVEMENT OF TERRORISTS
Former UKIP Leader Nigel Farage Said The Free Movement Of People Also Means The Free Movement Of Terrorists
Free movement around the European Union (EU) allows terrorists to easily cross international borders and commit mass murder, former UKIP leader Nigel Farage said. Security forces across the bloc are currently hunting for terrorists linked to Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) after a van rammed into tourists on Barcelona’s Las Ramblas, killing 15. More than 130 people were injured in the attack in the Catalonian capital. However, as armed officers moved in, 22-year-old Moroccan national Younes Abouyaaquoub hijacked a car and escaped.
As a transnational manhunt gets underway, Mr Farage the former UKIP leader said EU policies are allowing terrorists to go undetected. Mr Farage and MEP took to Twitter to claim terrorists can roam freely across EU borders. The free movement of people also means the free movement of terrorists. Despite the work of agencies such as Interpol, which links police forces in 190 countries, and Europol, which combines EU police, Mr Farage pointed out that terrorists are moving freely across the bloc.
Maastricht Treaty in 1992, which allows citizens of all EU member states to move around and live in other member states without difficulty. From this, the Schengen zone was born, which allows residents to cross borders without stringent passport control.
Mr Farage, who fought for Brexit for almost two decades, blamed immigration and free movement in the European Union for terrorist attacks in the immediate aftermath of the Spain assault. He told Fox News immigration and terrorism are “linked.” "There is a direct link and relationship between the number of people you let in from different religions and different cultures and the number of terror attacks,” he said.
However, a special report delivered to the UN General Assembly in 2016 found evidence to suggest otherwise. Ben Emmerson, the special rapporteur, said: “Overly-restrictive migration policies introduced because of terrorism concerns are not justified and may in fact be damaging to state security.” Mr Farage’s latest comments, however, has proved divisive. The post was liked 250 times in less than half an hour, but was also met with a backlash from angry commenters.
JEH JOHNSON: REMOVAL OF CONFEDERATE STATUES A MATTER OF ‘HOMELAND SECURITY’
Confederate Monuments Across The Country Have Been Taken Down.
Washington Free Beacon
Former Obama administration official Jeh Johnson said the removal of Confederate statues was a matter of “public safety and homeland security”, on Sunday in the aftermath of deadly violence in Charlottesville, Va., when a man was arrested for ramming his car into a crowd of counter-protesters last week and killing a woman. Confederate monuments across the country have been taken down. The furor in Charlottesville began with a group of citizens United The Right organized with a permit to protest against the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee. Other groups took the opportunity to add their own agenda like white supremacists, a group of people who were paid to be there and the Antifa who are against anything conservative, Republican or right political leanings.
Johnson served as Secretary of Homeland Security under Obama, and he said on ABC’s “This Week” that the monuments to Confederates were helping to rally white nationalists. “What alarms so many of us from a security perspective is that so many of the statues, the Confederate monuments, are now, modern-day, becoming symbols and rallying points for white nationalism, for neo-Nazis, for the KKK, and this is most alarming,” Johnson said. “We fought a world war against Naziism. The KKK reigned terror on African Americans for generations.”
VICE PRESIDENT PENCE SAID WE NEED ‘MORE MONUMENTS NOT LESS
We Have To Walk Away From A Desire By Some To Erase Parts Of Our History
Vice President Mike Pence weighed in on the forcible removal of statues across the country Tuesday, saying historical monuments pay tribute to the progress America has made. Speaking to Fox news, the former Indiana governor said the decision to remove monuments should be left to local governments, and public property should not be defaced in the name of political causes. “Seeing people destroy public property in the name of any cause is just simply unacceptable. Communities can have conversations about what displays happen,” the vice president declared. “But I hold the view that it’s important that we remember our past and build on the progress that we’ve made.”
Vice President Pence stated, “What we have to walk away from is a desire by some to erase parts of our history just in the name of some contemporary political cause. Obviously I think that should always be a local decision. VP Pence continued, “I’m someone who believes in more monuments, not less monuments.”
Leftists have increasingly set their sights on the removal of historical statues following President Trump’s comments regarding a demonstration in Charlottesville, Virginia, which left one protester dead. The president accused those calling for statues to be taken down of “changing history,” and “changing culture” – something VP Pence said is important to reflect upon. “We ought to remember our history, but we also ought to celebrate the progress we’ve made since that history.” “Rather than tearing down monuments that have graced our cities for years, we ought to be building more monuments. We ought to be celebrating the men and women who’ve helped our nation move toward a more perfect union and tell the whole story of America.”